Uxbridge Music HallBy 1804, settlers had begun to make their way into the virgin forests around the Uxbridge valley, to create a rural pioneer community. The first meeting hall was a clearing with stumps for chairs and the sky for a roof. Then the settlers' homes provided space for congregating. Quaker families in the area built their own Friends' Meeting House in 1809. By the 1850's the hamlet of Uxbridge had numerous places such as lodge halls, schools, taverns, to take care of meeting needs.

The 1850's brought a large expansion of the hamlet and a need arose for a central place of meeting where citizens could come together for socializing and entertainment as well as business.

About 1865, a site was leased from the Planks on the west side of Main Street where the present hall now stands and a building known as the Ontario Hall was erected.

In 1893, the Ontario Hall burned down. Uxbridge was eight years without a new hall.

By May 1900, a public meeting had been called to propose the raising of four thousand dollars to procure a site and build a hall. Amidst extensive discussion regarding the site for the new hall, plans got underway with the establishment of a local Musical Society and the acceptance of a design by James Walker Jr., of Buffalo. On August 19th, 1901, a large and enthusiastic crowd was on hand to watch the laying of the corner stones and on December 19th, 1901, the official opening of the Music Hall took place. Known for its superior acoustics, the Uxbridge Music Hall is a thriving cultural centre today

Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved.